Formworks hybridizes methods of casting with digital fabrication. In doing so, we challenge the repetitive nature of casting and formwork by developing a parametric, dynamic formworks system and producing a series of precast elements using that system. Students are introduced to advanced 3-axis millinjg, 1 and 2 part molds, silicone casting and a variety of casting materials. Students respond with their own system which takes these techniques and systems of organization, assembly and fabrication further.
Products of the formworks system may include:
- a series of parametrically related castings produce by a:
· formwork which is performative and dynamic
· formwork which is a recombinant kit of parts.
· a kit of formworks that produce a series of interrelated parts
· a repetitive series that can recombine (flexible unit / kit of parts)
- a casting that is itself dynamic (material dynamics)
- a flexible structural system which employs the products of your formworks
- Develop a sophisticated, well made formworks system
- Produce and assemble a large quantity of products from your formworks system
- Identify the architectural performance of the casting
- Site the products of your formworks
- Experiment with and present an argument for the material you used in your castings.
- Develop a tectonic between cast parts
· How do the products of your formwork aggregate and fit together?
· What other kinds of details, external structures and materials can you integrate?
- Relate the system to precedent projects
- Analyze the structural performance of the system